If you live in England, you can register for Patient Access without a letter, using the steps below to create a basic Patient Access account and then connect with your practice. The basic account will allow you to book one appointment (face-to-face or a video consultation) before attending at your practice with ID to complete the registration.
Not all practices allow patients to register online. If this option is not available once you have entered your practice's postcode, you will need to collect a registration letter from them.
Create your Patient Access account
- On the Patient Access sign in screen, select Register now.
- Enter your personal details.
Note: The gender field is optional.
- Enter your account details.
Note: The Mobile phone and Marketing fields are optional.
- Accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Select Create account.
Your account has been created.
- Verify your email address. Now your account has been created you must verify your email address. An email will be automatically sent to the email address you registered your Patient Access account with. This will provide you with a link to verify your account.
- The verification email will expire in 24 hours. If you have not verified your email address within 24 hours, you can click Re-send verification email to send a new link to your email address.
- You can click Skip verification for now to verify your email address at a later time. However, please be advised that you can only skip verification for 10 days, after this your account will be locked until you have verified your email address.
- Once you have clicked on Verify my email address in the verification email that was sent to you, you can then click Sign in to Patient Access.
- Next choose one of the following options:
- Link your GP practice (to link to your practice).
- Skip for now (you can always link later using the Navigation pane or the My account section).
Connect to your practice
To complete the registration and get a fully active account, you need to take proof of identity to your practice and ask them to complete your registration.
- Select Link Your GP Practice, at either the end of the registration process detailed above, or from the navigation pane.
- Enter the practice postcode or name of where you are currently registered.
- Select Search.
- Select your practice from the list provided.
- Select Continue.
- Below the question 'Have you received a registration letter from your practice?', select No.
- Read the information messages on-screen, then select Continue.
- Check your personal details and enter either your house number, flat number, or street number, then select Continue.
Note: The personal details must match the details held by your practice.
- Confirm (enter) your password, then select Link Account.
- On the confirmation screen, select Done.
Your linked account has been created. To fully complete the account and get access to all enabled services, you'll need to take proof of identity (e.g. your driving licence or passport) the next time you visit your practice.
Still having a problem?
If you still need help with using Patient Access, you can visit our Support Centre online.
If you want to discuss medical issues, please contact your practice